Di Castri - A. A. Smith House (1954)
446 Goldstream Avenue
Designed for lawyer Alexander A. Smith in 1954, this house is sometimes referred to by its second owner, C. D. Ballantyne. Situated in Colwood, the Smith House borrows heavily from John Lautner's futuristic work in California. Di Castri's design eschews the rectangular plans of most residential projects of the period in favour of a sinuous c-shaped design. The first floor includes the living and dining rooms, kitchen, and a built-in garage. The house has only one bedroom plus a den, which are located on the right side of the house in the upper storey. Recently renovated, the Smith House now serves as an office for a mortgage company.